Friday, November 28, 2008

Live Music Review - Dir en Grey @ The Palladium Ballroom

Dir en Grey is a very interesting band. It amazes me that have such a large fan base in the United States. Given it is mainly anime fanboys and fangirls who love all weird things that are Japanese. But hey, if it wasn't for the support of these people I would probably never have been given the chance to see the band preform live. This isn't first time I've seen Dir en Grey preform. I saw them a couple of years ago when they were on tour for the "Marrow of the Bone" album. I was blown away. Dir en Grey gives one of most intense live preformances I've ever seen. I was a little disturbed also because they kept looping video footage of the atom bomb drooping on Japan. That seemed like a strange thing for a Japanese band to be showing an American audience. This time around they didn't show any thing quite that messed up. But they did show some pretty bad ass pictures of Ukiyo-e style samurai's committing seppuku. I was really impressed by the set the band played this time around. They played a good mix of heavy songs and some of their more experimental songs. They played every song wanted to hear but Jesus Christ R' n R'. My understanding of the Japanese languge is very minimal. This allows me to focus on the singers voice as another instrument. Which adds more to the over all experience. He has very impressive vocal range and can produce a varity of sounds with his voice. Hopefully Dir en Grey will continue to have success in the United States because over the last couple of years they have become one of my favorite heavy metal bands.

No comments: