Monday, November 10, 2008

Live Music Review: Chuck Ragan & Tom Gabel @ The Prophet Bar

This show turned out to be a very pleasant surprise. For many different reason. First I was surprised by how many people showed up. We had to wait in line for nearly an hour and half to get. The Prophet Bar isn't a very big place. There for a little while it didn't look like we were going to get. There was so many people at the show that the bar ran out of all beer on tap before we even got in. This show was a little different than the typical concert I like to attend. There were no electric instruments. Only people with acoustic instruments and there voices. I which I liked because one person with a wooden instrument, something to say and a voice can be just as powerful as an entire band on a stage with lots of flashing lights and a elaborate set. There really wasn't set times. The musicians would rotate between group performances and solo performances. While I am a Chuck Ragan fan the main reason we wentto the show was to see Tom Gabel (the lead singer of Against Me!) preform his solo stuff. I had only heard a handful of his solo songs. So I was really looking forward to hearing some stuff I had never heard before. His performance was awesome. LIke I mentioned earlier its amazing how much energy one man with a aucustic guitar can produce. Now on to Chuck Ragan. I've heard a lot about Chuck Ragan over last couple of years. I have a couple of his cds. But after seeing him prefrom live I understood why I had to wait in line for over an hour to get. He is that good. He has a very distinctive voice that people can gravitate to. Plus he plays the harmonica. You can't go wrong with that. Below are some videos of the show we recorded. Enjoy!!!!





No comments: